Twelve months ago I was travelling. I found myself in Rio de Janeiro – “The Marvellous City”.
And marvellous it was.
Alone in a city of 12 million people.
My knowledge of the local language (Brazilian Portuguese) limited to “obrigado” and “de nada”.
From a 1 room apartment on Rua Nossa Senhora, about 100m from Copacabana Beach (thanks Airbnb), I had the perfect base from which to explore the sights.
- Cristo Redentor (aka Christ the Redeemer)
- Sugarloaf Mountain
- Avenida Atlantica, promenading with the locals as the strip is closed to traffic on Sunday mornings – walkers, joggers, cyclists, rollerblades, dogs, even children driving electric toy cars
- the beaches of Copacabana and Ipanema
- magnificent steakhouses – like Churrascaria Palace (http://churrascariapalace.com.br/en/)
- ‘Kilo’ restaurants, where your plate is weighed and you pay by the gram
My friend Malcolm from Melbourne Yoga (http://melbourneyoga.com) previously lived in Rio for a number of years. He put me in touch with some friends from his time there (okay, so I wasn’t completely ‘alone’).
This meant multiple visits to Blyss Yoga in Ipanema for a local yoga experience.
I can’t wait until the next time I get to visit Rio. Perhaps in time for the 2016 Olympic Games?