Best NYE ever!
It is now early on New Year’s Day. I’ve had about 90 mins sleep…just not able to wind down after an amazing night time trail run (a first for me) at the inaugural TrailsPlus ‘Rock Around The Clock’ event in the You Yangs.
There were a range of events on offer; the first starting at 7pm; the last finishing shortly after 5am. These included:
- Half Marathon
- Full Marathon A – starting at 7pm
- Full Marathon B – starting at midnight (…and yes, there were a couple of competitors that entered both marathon events)
- 3hr Enduro, Solo or Team Relay – starting at 9pm
- 6hr Enduro, Solo or Team Relay – starting at 11pm
I was entered in the 3hr Enduro Solo event. Whilst the 6hr event was enticing, the reality is I am still getting over a nasty ankle injury sustained in October and have only been running pain free for the past two weeks. The 3hrs (plus, by the time you finish your final lap) was already going to be the longest outing I have had since the Macedon 50km in May.
- Finishing 3rd in my category.
- Achieved my goal of completing 5 laps of the hilly 5km course. The cut-off time to start a final lap was 2hr:45min. I made this with 8 mins up my sleeve.
- Had a close encounter with a koala on lap 3. Hearing a noise to my left on the trail I turned my head torch to discover a koala crawling about 1 metre away from me, heading towards the nearest tree. I tried snapping a quick picture, but unfortunately my smartphone is not well equipped for night time photography.
- Managed to stay upright for the duration! The middle third of the course includes a long, steep descent. Gradients of -15%+, on loose surfaces, at night, combined with my propensity for butchering ankles, make this no small achievement!!
I was pretty knackered at the end of the run…and quite rightly to. After all, I’d been running since last year!
All up a fantastic way to finish off a year of running trails.