Note: This piece was originally posted elsewhere on 30th October.
Living in a basement…
(Sub title: “Its for the government…We pack bullets”)
Now, where was I?
Ah, that’s right…breakfast at Dennys.
After eating, I messaged Colton (my airbnb landlord for the next 9 days) to let him know I was heading to his address to check-in. When he found out I was on foot he was blown away.
People don’t walk around here.
For starters, there are no footpaths.
Secondly, on the morning I arrived it was raining…hard.
Much harder, in fact, than I thought it was when I set off to meet Colton.
I graciously accepted his offer to come pick me up.
Home during my stay in KC is the basement of a share house.
I like basements; and this one is now stocked with enough trail mix, muesli bars and beef jerky to fuel me during the World Series.
As for housemates, aside from Colton there is:
– Gary, can’t say anything except he’s a young black guy, he doesn’t ever seem to be here. (UPDATE: Ok, so Gary’s name may actually be Dennis)
– Kelly, 19 yo Illinois farm girl who moved to the ‘big smoke’ of KC a year ago.
– Meggs, at least I think that’s his name. 50-ish. When I asked him about his work all he said was:
“Its for the government. We pack bullets.”
So…I’m not likely to be asking him any more questions.
Technically, I’m not staying in Kansas City. Rather, my basement home is just over the city line in Independence. From what I can gather, Independence is notable for 2 things:
1. It was home to President Harry S Truman (33rd Prez) from the age of 6, and
2. It is now home to a simply incalculable number of squirrels
And, being the US, it is a living shrine to the cult of the drive-thru.
You name it…they’ll drive through it.
I’ll share some observations re: baseball in KC at another time and close for now with a personal challenge. One temptation that I need to resist is the pull of having breakfast at the local ‘Steak & Shake’. Their morning special:
How do you say no to that???
More to come.